I would like to promote and announce an event that is occurring locally in the DC area Friday, March 28th. It is the first annual Interfaith Domestic Violence Awareness Event hosted by The Progressive Muslim Network.
Please come out and support this great work and effort. If you cannot, at least offer your support at the groups page on Facebook. It’s a grassroots effort by concerned Muslims to step-up and speak out.
Below is the official info sheet with a link to the flyer. Please share with all those who may be interested.
NOT IN OUR NAME: UNITED AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
First Annual Interfaith Domestic Violence Awareness Event
Date: Friday, March 28, 2008
Time: 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm – Registration – networking/social hour/booths
7:30pm – 9:00 pm – Event / Program (3 speakers – followed by Performances)
Venue: American University – Ward Circle Building – Ward 1 – 4400 Massachusetts Ave, NW.
· Driving/Metro directions to American University: http://www.american.edu/maps/index.html
· Parking: Free in Katzen parking structure- adjacent to Ward Circle Building
Muslim Representative: IMAM JOHARI
Christian Representative: Reverend ROSE ROBINSON
Jewish Representative: TBA
Speakers will share different faith and cultural perspectives in a united denunciation of Domestic Violence, acknowledging its existence in their communities, but reiterating the problem is NOT specific to a group or community.
Organization Booths (10-15 booths)
Booths: Peaceful Families Project; Asian/Pacific Islander Domestic Violence Resource Project (DVRP); American Islamic Congress, Project Nur, Progressive Muslim Network (PMN), Jewish Coalition, Domestic Violence Interfaith Coalition of Maryland, Christian Ministries, more booths TBA.
Booths will familiarize attendees with various organizations and DV groups; Booths will disseminate flyers and printed materials about DV, prevention, and available resources; Provides an opportunity for organizations to reach out to community.
Representatives of religious communities, interfaith groups, domestic abuse organizations, humanitarian orgs., resource centers, social service agencies, academic departments, and student groups/organizations.
To address Domestic Violence as a humanitarian issue and denounces it from a humanitarian standpoint, not specific to any religion or cultural group, rather collectively as people of faith in collaboration with humanitarian and DV organizations.
· To emphasize that people of all faiths unconditionally condemn abuse and violence of all kinds.
· Aims to highlight intercultural and interfaith efforts to bring an end to this social problem that transcends racial, ethnic, class, and gender boundaries. There is NO “Universal” victim or “abuser.”
· Aims to address the severity of domestic violence, to initiate partnerships and to network between various organizations and faith-based communities, as well as to highlight resources available to those in need.
· Aims to call all communities and organizations to action– confronting and defeating DV is a collective and complex problem.
· Through efforts and cooperation across communities, cultures and geographic regions, we hope to create a network for partnerships in the Greater DC vicinity.
For information about event, booths or sponsorship, please contact: DVevent@gmail.com
Media Contact: Hazami Barmada, Director, Progressive Muslim Network- DVevent@gmail.com or 901.219.2041.